Land Title Surveys
The American Land Title Association (ALTA) and the National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS) set the requirements for ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys. These requirements are periodically updated with the last update effective February 23, 2016. ALTA surveys combine a boundary (property line) survey and topographic survey into a map (survey plat) showing the relationship between the boundary of the property and all of the improvements on the property. The ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys are principally used for developed commercial property and are used by buyers and lenders to ensure that buildings, parking areas, and other improvements are located correctly. Additionally, title insurance companies require an ALTA survey to remove survey exemptions from a title insurance policy. The specifications for accuracy and minimum information requirements on an ALTA survey generally exceed Georgia’s minimum standards and there are several items that are not necessarily shown on a typical boundary survey. These include:
- Recorded easements that may encumber or benefit the property
- Possible gaps or encroachments across boundary lines or easements
- Access to a public street or streets, or lack thereof
- Zoning of the property along with setback requirements
- Flood zones that may affect the subject property as determined by FEMA
- Evidence of any use by other parties
- Location of any water boundaries on or adjacent to the subject property
- Observable evidence of cemeteries
- Names of adjoining property owners
In addition to the minimum ALTA requirements, supplemental items as defined in Table A of the ALTA Requirements and Instructions may be optionally added by the owner, lender or title company prior to ordering the survey.
ALTA surveys performed by Tompkins Surveying and Mapping comply with the current minimum standard detail requirements as required or adopted by Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee as well as the National Society of Professional Surveyors and the American Land Title Association. Our professional staff will be pleased to provide you a no cost or obligation quote for any of your survey needs.